DIY Protein Hair Treament|Shameika Armstead

2 August 2018

This week I want to talk protein and not the kind you drink when you want to gain weight! Protein for your hair. Last time we talked about scab hair and how to heal your hair from it. So as you all know I am writing these blogs as I go along my own journey.  So if you read my last blog and you found yourself with scab hair keep reading.

So after my deep condition last week, I found my hair still a bit brittle and hard. So I did some more digging and found that I needed to try a protein treatment. Now in the past I have attempted proteins and hated how crunchy they made my hair and didn’t feel like they did much. But from the way my hair has been feeling, I felt like anything would help. So I hopped up and went in search of a protein conditioner a friend gave me a few months ago. It’s not like your regular protein or conditioner, OMG! Let me tell you, its watery and smells like soy sauce. But at this point I was willing to try anything. So I got in the shower, washed my hair and then pulled out the protein conditioner. In retrospect, I probably should have used a spray bottle to do this but I pretty much poured it on top of my head.  I put a shower cap on, got out the shower, and waited for 45 minutes. I hopped in the shower to wash it out,  my hair smelled of soy sauce but there was a noticeable difference.  In retrospect, I should have done this differently, and saved myself the smell.

So why is protein good for your hair?

Protein is necessary for your hair to grow long and thick. It will strengthen your hair and make it healthy, shinier and fills in the gaps in the hair cuticles. Protein enables you hair to be resilient, and restores minor damage done to the hair. Let’s be crystal clear here before you run out and put protein in your hair everyday, LOL! You need to protein treatment once a month, not very often, because too much protein will damage your hair. You ever heard the saying “too much of something can be bad,” that apply here. After all protein treatments you also want to incorporate a hot oil treatment for length retention.

Here is what I used (or should have used):

~ JR Redding 100% Natural Protein (3 tbsp, maybe 4, depends on how much conditioner you need)
~ Conditioner or deep conditioner of your choice (something to offset the smell).
*you want enough to cover your hair (only you know this answer), but take note that when you add in the tbsp(s) of protein the conditioner will thin out.
~Plastic caps to cover your hair (Part your hair in sections and braid or twist, if your hair isn’t short like mines)
*right now I use one, however the longer my hair gets, I know I can end up with 3 or 4 on my
  head

I tie my head scarf or wrap a T-shirt around my head to lock in the heat, but you don’t have to. Then I let it sit for about 30-45 minutes, depending on the thickness of your hair. Last, do a hot oil treatment with the oil of your choice. Just make sure it is not too hot that it will burn your scalp!




Always,

Meika_Tyree❣


Ig: Meika_tyree

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Curls Aunaturel. Design by Fearne.