LimeLight: CANDACE BROWN, FOUNDER OF MANEKRUSH| Shameika Armstead

16 August 2018

She’s answered the video call with a smile on her face, I could tell she was a fun person. At first glance, she appears radiant, energetic and inviting. She is super approachable, cool and down to earth This week’s Limelight features Candace Brown, Founder of ManeKrush, an ever growing natural hair care line. She’s a entrepreneur, natural hair mogul and innovator.




1. Tell me about you, what do you want the readers to know.

My name is Candace, 32 years old, from Marrero, Louisiana. I’m a mom of two and fiancé, everything I do basically revolves around my family and business. We go on a lot of vacations.


2. Can you share with our readers how ManeKrush came about and your vision for the next 5 to 10 years.

I started making products because of my daughters hair. She has very fine  low porosity hair and I couldn’t find products that worked for her, so I started making products just to find something that could give her some type of moisture. Over time, I started expanding my line, in the beginning I started with 2 products because I was trying to regrow her edges because they had thinned out. And also find something to maintain moisture in her hair.

For the next five years I plan on my brand being sold everywhere with ManeKrush being a household name.

3. How did you come up with the name ManeKrush?

I played around with the name for a while before I came up with ManeKrush. My daughters name starts with a K, so that’s where the K in Krush comes from. Initially it was meant like hair crush, so I came up with Mane, like a lions Mane. So then I decided on ManeKrush with a K for my daughter.

4. How long have you been running ManeKrush and are you paying yourself yet?

I have been running ManeKrush since 2015, and selling products since 2016. I probably should be paying myself but right now I haven’t switched over to giving myself a paycheck.



5. Walk me through the step-by-step process of how you got where you are today.

I looked for ingredients to do specific things to my hair and tested them out, then I started promoting on Instagram (@manekrush). Once I started selling I started reaching out to other people to promote so people could see me page. I did giveaways and over the past 2 years its blossomed into what it is.

6. Are there challenges you have faced while growing your business?

Definitely! Of course, between shipping problems, keeping a steady vendor for bottles or ingredients. It’s a task but when you start a business it’s a risk that you take. You just have to roll with the punches.

7. We talked about challenges, so tell me what’s been the best things, qualities, or practices  about your business, some of the things that made you so successful?

My customer service. I go above an beyond because I know the struggle of buying products. Before I started making products, I was a product junkie. I brought every product that they sold. So I know what it feels like to spend money on something and it not live up to what you want it to be. So I try my hardest to make sure that when I market, I am truthful about what the product does, so that people don’t have expectations that I cannot fulfill. As far as my customer service I do any and every thing I can to make sure the experience is smooth and that we don’t have any issues because I know how it feels to give somebody your money. And by my products being all natural, they do cost more that store brought products, they do cost more so I try to make up for that extra cost in my customer service.

8. If a woman or child walked up and asked for your advice, but you only had a minute to give them your best tip, what would it be?

Consistency is key. Be consistent with your hair and use low manipulation styles for growth.


This interview was so fun for me. Candace is vibrant and fun loving and it shows. By the time we finished talking, it felt as if I had known her for years. She is a woman is truly a blessing to the natural hair care game and an inspiration to women everywhere.  It was a pleasure speaking with her via FaceTime and she was so understanding of the time difference, even though I was interrupting a date night, lol.

So guys if your looking to try a great new product for your hair, I know I am! Head over to either her IG (@manekrush) or her website ( www.manekrush.org ). You wont regret it! Her products are handmade with love, care, and patience. A list of the ingredient (all natural) can be found on her website. She’s also ships to APO/FPO (Military), which for me is a definite plus!

Congrats again Candace on your engagement!


Always

Shameika Armstead
@Meika_Tyree

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Curls Aunaturel. Design by Fearne.