Intermittent Fasting: Is This Non-Diet Right For ME?

9 August 2018

Hey Friends!

Hope all is going well since you last heard from me. So far we have covered toxic relationships and my natural hair journey. But today I want to talk about something completely different…. WEIGHT LOSS. I’m a mom of two, but after my daughter I found this weight harder to lose even with working out, it was like I was gaining muscle but still staying at a consistent 175 lbs. I thought when we moved to Tokyo it would be easier because they’re all thin right? Wrong… 6 months later, I walked past a mirror, unhappy that I was still 175 and starting to get sad and considering surgical options.

I did my research and found an option in Thailand, 1 here in Japan, 2 the DR and a few in the states… The problem with them all where the cost, see here in Japan the cost are outrageous because surgery for weight loss and enhancing your body is taboo, and every where else I would have to purchase a flight and stay in a recovery home (there was no way I was going to fly all the back fire just having that type of trauma to my body).

So, I sat and talked to my husband who was supportive of me either way, then I did my research. I told him I would put in the effort to lost the weight before making a rash decision such as surgery. I looked into several options, from being vegan to pescatarian, none of which were options for me because I did not want to give up certain things and I definitely DID NOT want to feel like I was on a diet. There I was, all out of options and losing hope that I would ever lose this stomach and extra weight.

I remembered hearing about intermittent fasting from my best friends husband, so I quickly pulled it up on my tablet and began my research and decided I wanted to give it a shot.

What is intermittent fasting and how does it work?

Intermittent fasting is a “eating pattern that cycles between periods of eating and fasting. It does not specify what foods can eat but rather when you should eat them. It is not a conventional “diet” but more accurately described as an eating pattern. Common fasting methods involve daily 16 hour fast or fasting for 24 hours twice per week.”

Now I choose to fast 16 hours a day, most of which I am sleeping so it is easy. You just have to find and maintain what works for you and your life, if you feel like this is something you want to do.

Benefits of intermittent fasting
1. Helps you to lose weight and belly fat.
2. Changes the functions of your hormones in a positive way
3. Studies have shown that it can reduce oxidative damage and inflammation.
4. Helps your digestion’s fully process meals.
5. Improves risk factors for heart disease, such as high blood pressure, and high cholesterol
6. Intermittent fasting trigger your metabolism

I didn’t have to change what I was eating just how much. In order to achieve my goal weight, I needed to restrict my calorie intake, drink only water, coffee/tea, and sparkling water when I felt hungry and fast for 16 hours out of day.

The first week was hard because I followed a sample guide I found, which had me eating at  10am and stopping at 6pm, I was finding that I was still hungry, even after having a sparkling water. I fell off a few times during that week, and decided to change my approach. I knew I had a eight hour window, so week 2 I adjusted and began eating at noon and stopped eating at 8pm. That worked better for me.

I began tracking my weight on a bluetooth scale, which connects to my phone, tracking my calories on the UnderArmor MyFitness Pal app, and started noticing the pounds slowly going down. Here I am a month later and only doing yoga (not every day, I still fall off) I am down to 169.8 and that was as of Tuesday. Recently, I began to research a product called Teami Blend, and decided to purchase it, I have only been using it for a few days so I don’t want to say much about it. The tea is good even with nothing in it, that is all I will say about it today.

My routine is simple!

Now I have my Teami Blend tea in the morning (6 am), before that it was black coffee. Around 8 or 9 I have my first bottle of water (16.9 oz). At about 11, I start to get hungry so I have sparkling water and at 12 noon I can eat, usually this meal is heavy to break the fast and finish my last meal right before 8pm. I have set alarms to keep my on track, one for when it is time to eat and one when it is time to stop (this is to hold myself accountable).

Again, do what works for you…this just works for me and can be a helpful guide for you to follow!

Question? Let me know if you have tried this! Leave a comment below.


Always Meika_Tyree

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Curls Aunaturel. Design by Fearne.