LIME LIGHT : KESANDU NWOKOLO; CREATOR OF EPP APP; BY: SAMUELLA AMOAKO-BOATENG

30 July 2018

Women of today we can say have taken on and over career paths that were once considered as men only careers,  we have women today taking on high ranking positions in the military, climbing the corporate ladder one high heel at a time, with  all the  challenges they face as women , they are still on the rise  and fight for equality. Women are taking over the Technology Industry now in the United States of America and oh Black Women haven't been left out of this new margin. We have some very powerful Black Women who are taking the  Tech Industry by storm, and they are making history too. We have Ursula Burns, Angela Benton, Kimberly Bryant  and the likes. The older generation of tech gurus paved way for the new ones and today I feel privileged to blog about a very young and budding  black female  app developer and Winner of the 2016 Nigeria Innovation Summit; Kesandu Nwokolo.

 
   Tell me about yourself: My name is Kesandu Nwokolo I am 23 years of age; I was born Lagos Nigeria and I am a second child from a family of 4. Both my parents are medical doctors. I graduated Oral Roberts University Tulsa-Oklahoma with a degree Computer Information Technology with a Minor in Mathematics, I also start my Masters at  University of Maryland Baltimore County  this Fall for a Masters in Cyber-security.

Why Computer Information Technology: Well a lot of females tend to shy away from the Technology Industry but obviously that wasn't my case, I find Mathematics as a very interesting subject and thus my interest in  Computer Information Technology.. I personally like the subject Mathematics because it pushes me to think; which is never a bad thing to do. Mathematics as a subject has helped me tackle problems in different ways, so I am very grateful for that subject. 

What is your current job role: I work as an Automation Engineer for a Software Company in Columbia, Maryland USA.

How does it feel like being a woman in a Male Dominated Industry:  Being a woman in a male-dominated industry has isn't been a walk in the park, you are not given any  easy way out just because you are a woman and I have to basically go head-to head with men and basically fight for my right for equality in the job market and at the work place.

Tell me about your journey through the Tech World: I have had the opportunity to work in different aspects of Software Engineering but my favorite is Mobile App Development.

What is Mobile App Development: Mobile App Development is basically creating Applications for the Cell phone we all have in our hands; Like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Uber, Lyft, Snap chat and the likes.

Have you developed any applications?:  Yes I have a have an old one called Cradle Count Which I haven't updated in over two years due to me being occupied with this new one I have developed called The Epp App. Cradle Count was an App for expecting mothers calculate their expectancy dates and also leave pregnancy tips for other expecting mothers. 

Can you tell us about The Epp App?: The 'Epp App' is an App I developed which is currently only for the Nigerian market; the purpose of the app is to connect consumers and producers, the App was built with budding entrepreneurs like myself in mind. The App will serve as a bridge between the people who needs services and those offering the services needed. The App is to be a one 'Stop Shop'; Basically you can just go on the app and order everything you need from  makeup artistes, caterers, event planners, chauffeur services, legal services, logistics and many more. Also consumers are able rate and leave reviews for the producers and the services rendered unto them.

Is there plans of the App going beyond Nigeria?: Yes there are plans of the App going beyond Nigeria, it is my goal for the App to be accessible and used all over West Africa, eventually Africa and then Globally. I am starting in the African Market because I see a lot of the African Youth taking the entrepreneurship path due to the lack of readily and steady jobs right after they get their education; I started with Nigeria because it is my Home.

Is the Epp App ready for use?: Yes the Epp App is Ready for use. You Can Download it in the Goggle Play Store and the Apple Store.

How does the Future Look for Kesandu Nwokolo; The App Creator?:  I have more Ideas for Apps,up my sleeves, but I do have limited resources; but we will see.

What Advice do you have for Black girl who want to go the STEM route?: As a young lady, you have to know and understand your calling in life. If you are being called into the STEM world, do not hesitate to answer that calling. Take that leap of faith; yes it will be scary and you might seem like you are drowning but eventually, you will float and then you will learn to swim perfectly. Also once you really apply yourself to anything you are doing? You will be successful.

Social Media Accounts for the Epp App are: @theeppapp ; For Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook. You can Check it Out. The website is: 
                  






Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Curls Aunaturel. Design by Fearne.