How To Maximise Growth With Braids! | BOLU NOELLE

16 February 2017



So last week, I got the urge to re-join braids gang for the first time in over a year. One thing that stopped me from getting braids for such a long time is the fact that, although hey are known to be a protective style, heavy box braids are also infamous for ripping out edges.
I really wish to still have edges when I'm 50, so I had to figure out a way around this.

I wasn't really too keen on the idea of crotchet braids since it limits the styling options and can be more pricey than traditional braids.

Here, I'm going to show you a few of my tips for doing my braids:

1) LEAVE YOUR EDGES OUT.
I remember asking Indiana Ifill how her edges were still popping despite consistently wearing bum length braids and locs. This was her reply and it seemed so simple and obvious. But many times when we or our stylists do our hair, our desire for the freshly braided neat look leads us to snatch our edges into the braids. This is the key problem! I have baby hairs, so before braiding, I brushed them forward with a soft bristle brush so I didn't include them in the braids. They are softer and weaker than my main body of hair- plus, I like the look of braids with slicked baby hairs so its a win-win.

2) DEEP CONDITION AND MOISTURISE
This one, I'm sure you already knew. Before putting your hair into a long term style, ensure it's richly moisturised and sealed. This will minimise breakage whilst putting in and taking down the braids.

3) DO MINI TWISTS BEFOREHAND!
This is another key to success. Part your braid sections the day before, after moisturising and do mini twists. This further protects your hair as they are secure in twists within the braids. Also, this reduces breakage when installing the braids as your real hair wont be involved in any tangles and knotting. This is the same with the takedown of the braids. Do this while catching up of your favourite TV shows, Youtubers, sermons, podcasts etc. The time will fly and it is worth it.

4) OIL SCALP MASSAGE
Before installing, moisturise scalp. Whilst style is in I would only recommend spraying with water daily, as any product could lead to build up at the base of your braids which will cause breakage at takedown.

5) DONT PULL BACK TIGHT
The whole point of a protective style is that it is low manipulation and therefore allows your hair to flourish without being brushed and pulled at. However, I know that I personally used to do every style possible with braids. In fact, I loved their versatility. I'd do half up half down, top bun, French braids.. and now, I just leave my braids down. I'm much more cautious when styling my braids of how hard I'm pulling them back.

That's it! I'll be doing braids a lot more often now. Hope this helps.
Love,
Bolu Noelle
x
p.s: follow me on Instagram @bolunoelle to see more braid pics!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Curls Aunaturel. Design by Fearne.