Let’s Talk Suicide | Anas Munira

11 September 2018


September is World Suicide Prevention Month and Yesterday marked the World Suicide Prevention Day and one may wonder can we really prevent suicide. I mean the statistics are bleak. According to the World Health Organization, close to 800,000 people die by suicide each year and about 17% of the world’s population have contemplated suicide. The statistics go on...Suicide is the third leading cause of death for 15-24 year olds. For every teen or older adult who takes his or her own life, 100-200 of their peers attempts suicide.
This year the theme for the day was Working Together to Prevent Suicide and with such statistics, one can’t help but ask, is there anything we can do, can we even prevent it? I like to think we can
Majority of suicides are preceded by warning signs. It is important that we educate ourselves on these signs and how to be of help when we notice such signs.
Some warning signs include:
The person talking about killing themselves
Feelings of hopelessness
Having no reason or will to live
Increased use of alcohol or drugs
Looking for a way to end their lives, such as searching online for methods
Withdrawing from activities
Isolating themselves from family and friends
Visiting or calling people to say goodbye
Giving away prized possessions

The first thing we can do is talk about it. Talking about suicide hardly encourages an already suicidal person. Although it may be a difficult, it is important that we discuss it openly to allow people rethink their decisions.
Also we need to note that being suicidal is a sign of deep unhappiness and this isn’t always as a result of a mental health disorder. It is important that we take all talks of suicide of seriously even if the person is not suffering from any mental health disorder. 
We need to be very intentional about the words we use when talking to someone contemplating suicide. They should be our only concern. Talking about the pain they will pass on to others isn’t going to do any good. Instead we should focus on them and the pain they are going through.

Next,offer your help. More often than not, in addition to professional help suicidal feelings passes with the right social support. We should aim to be kind and listen without judgement and invalidating their feelings.You may not understand what they are going through and that is ok, you 
do not need to. You only have to listen, show empathy and not make moral judements. What most people need is a listening ear and encouragement to go on living.

The last thing is to always know that it is never your fault or that of the person who commits suicide. The feelings that drive a person to commit suicide may not always make sense to us but it is never a choice. Most people see it as the only way out and a way to be less of a burden to their loved ones. And if you are unable to prevent it, it is important that you do not blame yourself. Remember to always encourage people with suicidal ideation to seek professional help. 
                                                                                 
                                                                                 Love, Neera.

2 comments

  1. Well, I saw this post on ig and thought I'd come see how some people have gotten through it.

    Just today I called the suicide prevention line, after I was on hold for the suicide chat line for an hour and got no one, she was nice but not helpful. I have borderline personality disorder. Which means there is no magical pill for me. It takes extensive therapy. People won't want to put up with me and my bpd. I feel that way because knowing what it is, I wouldn't be able to put up with someone through that.

    My boyfriend broke up with me because he didn't have the time for me that I needed. We're still great friends but it's difficult because he was the only one I feel like I could talk to. The only one who close to understands. I feel like no one will ever love me fr.

    Me feeling lonely is the reason I contemplate suicide so much. I feel like there's nothing and no one here for me. I have a HUGE family but that doesn't mean they'll understand or that I'm comfortable talking to them. I have no friends.

    I don't have a plan, but I have started writing suicide notes. I'm just hoping that I die in some type of accident and then my family will still already have notes so they know that I love them and that I'm not suffering anymore. Dealing with a family member's suicide is different than dealing with a family member in an accident. They both hurt but suicide is more painful in a certain way.

    Anyway, I just need someone to talk to that I won't feel judged by. I do go to therapy regularly and I am on meds so.. I am trying, I just don't feel like it's working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi thank you soo much for reaching out. I am glad you are seeking help and still going to therapy even though you feel like it’s not working. Kindly reach me on IG @neera_official and let’s talk some more. Meanwhile please keep on trying, it may not seem it like it but each day you do not give up is a victory. You can also try group therapy. It’s always easier talking to people who are going through similar experiences. Sending you so much love❤️

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Curls Aunaturel. Design by Fearne.